Re: USING Octave in a commercial environment

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: USING Octave in a commercial environment
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 10:13:27 -0600

On 25 March 2011 10:05, ygramul <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello, I work for a civil engineering company, and want to know if I can USE
> Octave for my work, such as producing graphs or solving sets of equations
> (I'd have used Matlab/numpy otherwise).

Octave is free software and therefore makes no attempt to regulate
what you do with it in the privacy of your home or business. In fact,
we encourage commercial use and would be very pleased to know that
Octave can replace your commercial usage of Matlab.

Roughly speaking, your only obligation is to release source if you
make and distribute to others a derivative work based on Octave. The
usual interpretation of "derivative work" is taken to mean modifying
Octave directly and releasing, or linking to it so that your work
cannot stand without Octave (e.g. by linking to Octave libraries).
This is sometimes paraphrased as "share and share-alike" by CC
licenses, but be careful with your understanding of what the words
(and if you need to be extra careful, consult a lawyer).

A more detailed FAQ about the GNU General Public LIcense, which covers
Octave usage, can be found here:

     http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.