Re: PKG octave 3.4 install problems

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: PKG octave 3.4 install problems
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:41:58 -0600

On 22 March 2011 09:21, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1. The command backend was replaced by graphics_toolkit. There is a
> comment in the "news" but this is not explicitly said.

It is not explicitly said in NEWS? Or what do you mean, what sort of
explicitness were you expecting?

> Installing those packages I get
> [lots of warnings snipped out]

Right, so it looks like several Octave-Forge packages need some
updates to correspond with recent Octave changes. Most of those
warnings can probably be ignored. Specifically,

> erfcx is listed as a new function in the "news", maybe it should be
> reomved form hte package?

Yes, it probably should be. Can you do it?

> warning: /home/juanpi/octave/optiminterp-0.3.2/optiminterpn.m:
> possible Matlab-style short-circuit operator at line 47, column 15

Octave recently implemented the Matlab bug to optionally short circuit
& and | when they are not used as a condition (or the other way
around, I can never remember which way the bug goes). If Octave-Forge
packages are relying on this behvaiour, they need to be modified.

> dbleGSVD.cc:194: warning: ‘Array<T>::Array(octave_idx_type, const T&)
> [with T = double]’ is deprecated

This ctor has been deprecated. The package should be modified
accordingly.

> 5. pkg install -forge communications
> Fails to compile, tons of errors. It ends with
> error: called from `pkg>configure_make' in file
> /usr/local/share/octave/3.4.0/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1332, column 9

You cut off before the actual error message. Can you give us a few
lines above it?

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.