Re: Help-octave Digest, Vol 60, Issue 34

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Help-octave Digest, Vol 60, Issue 34
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:57:29 -0600

On 15 March 2011 21:42, Vitaly Boyko <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am looking for your thoughts on a possible "adaptation" of dipimage
> (www.diplib.org) to the Octave platform.

Doesn't look likely nor necessary.

As "c." has indicated, the license is unacceptable for Octave. It
discriminates between fields of endavour and doesn't provide source
code, thus not qualifying as free software. You may use it for
yourself if you find its licensing terms acceptable, even link it with
Octave if you figure out how, but the GPL does not allow distributing
the resulting binaries. I don't think, however, that you should
encourage the project's creators by using their software until they
are amenable to a license change.

But moreover, from a brief scan of the project's website, it doesn't
seem to do anything that Octave doesn't do (or couldn't do with a
little bit of work). Skimming its manual, it seems to be its own
graphical environment that happens to be linkable with Matlab, but I
didn't see it have any actual image processing abilities that Octave
doesn't do.

I have recently been comissioned to write some missing image
processing functions for Octave, and while I'm there, I may be able to
help implement a few more missing functions. Take a look at the image
Octave-Forge package, and if there's something that you think is
missing there, let me know, and I might also implement it:

     http://octave.sourceforge.net/image/overview.html

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.