Construct cell array whose elements satisfy a{i}==i

From: Bård Skaflestad
Subject: Construct cell array whose elements satisfy a{i}==i
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:40:21 +0100

All,

For initialisations purposes in an algorithm I'm implementing, I need to
construct an n-element cell array whose i'th element is just the scalar
'i'.  In other words, given a positive integer 'n', I'm trying to build
the array (n=5 for illustration purposes)

   a = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}

So far the simplest alternatives seem to be (variations of)

   a = arrayfun (@(i) i, 1:n, "UniformOutput", false)

and

   a = mat2cell (1:n, 1, ones ([1, n]))

Are there any other, possibly more direct, constructions?

Sincerely,
--
Bård Skaflestad <address@hidden>
SINTEF ICT, Applied Mathematics