Interleaving from a Command File

From: Martin Senator
Subject: Interleaving from a Command File
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 14:36:32 -0500

I like to use a command file when running octave interactively.
To get interleaved output, I used to have in
command-file.m  the lines:

  page_screen_output=0;
  diary on;
  echo on;
  more off;

 # Just issued the commands
 # > page_screen_output=0; > diary on; and > echo on; > more off;
 #
 # filename command-file.m; purpose ...

 # a list of octave commands, some of which printed,
 # some of which didn't, for example:

  [now] = ctime(time)    # printed
  x = 0:10  ;
  y = x.* x ;
  m = max( x .* sqrt( y.^3 ) )  # printed
  z = sqrt(x)  ;
  m1 = min( z .^(2/3) )        # printed

  [now] = ctime(time)    # printed
  diary off ;

 # then I would get interleaved commands and output,
 # both on the screen and in the diary file when I
 # ran octave interactively and issued the command:
  1 > command-file

 This worked before version 3.0.
 Afterward in  3.0.? it worked but told me that:
 warning: page_screen_output is no longer a built-in variable; ...

 Now, with version 3.2.2 I get a list in the diary file and on the
 screen, of all the commands, followed by a list of all the output lines
 (no interleaving).

 I have read the manual and tried different combinations
 but still can't figure out how to get interleaving.
 Any help would be appreciated.

 Thanks,

 Martin