Re: Plot Does Not Work

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Plot Does Not Work
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 10:03:24 -0500

On Mar 5, 2011, at 9:05 AM, Alan Morris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently installed Octave on my MacBook Pro, OS X Snow Leopard.  The first
> time I tried to plot data I got the following result:
>
> octave-3.2.3:6> plot(x,y)
> sh: gnuplot: command not found
> error: popen2 (child): unable to start process -- No such file or directory
> error: you must have gnuplot installed to display graphics; if you have
> gnuplot installed in a non-standard location, see the 'gnuplot_binary'
> function
> octave-3.2.3:7> error: called from:
> error:
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.2.3/m/plot/__gnuplot_open_stream__.m
>  at line 28, column 44
> error:
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.2.3/m/plot/gnuplot_drawnow.m
>  at line 85, column 19
>
> Is gnuplot installed separately?  If so, where can I find it?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Alan Morris
> address@hidden

Gnuplot is installed separately.  You can find it in the "Extras" folder in the
dmg you downloaded.

You may also want to install AquatTerm.

        http://aquaterm.sourceforge.net/

Finally, be sure to read the note for Snow Leopard at page below.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20MacOSX%20Binary/2009-10-03%20binary%20of%20Octave%203.2.3/

Ben