Finding highest/lowest peaks/valleys of a signal on a power versus frequ

From: Rick T
Subject: Finding highest/lowest peaks/valleys of a signal on a power versus frequency plot tia sal22
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:01:05 -1000

Greetings All

I'm importing an audio signal into octave and would like to find the 5 highest peaks on a power versus frequency plot
I know matlab with it's expensive addon packages has findpeaks but does
Octave 3.2.3 have something similar or is there another way to code this.

PS: I have it were I have the frequency is on the x axis and the power density
is on the y axis (did this using fft)
like this http://www.mathworks.com/support/tech-notes/1700/1702.html

Also does anyone know when the new Octave 3.4.0 will make it to the Ubuntu software center / or a good PPA location to use for installation.

tia sal22