Re: SLATEC error: Chebyshev series too short for specified accuracy

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: SLATEC error: Chebyshev series too short for specified accuracy
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 20:11:15 -0500

On Feb 22, 2011, at 9:32 AM, Camillo wrote:

> On 22/feb/2011, at 14.12, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Feb 22, 2011, at 6:53 AM, Camillo wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am working on a Mac build of Octave 3.4.0. It's almost complete: it
>>> passes 6908 tests, has 2 known failures, and 5 unexpected ones. All of
>>> these five are due to the same issue, an exception inside SLATEC:
>>> "Chebyshev series too short for specified accuracy". I don't know Fortran
>>> and I'm not sure how to best debug the issue. The compilers I am using are
>>> gcc and gfortran 4.2.1.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Camillo Lugaresi
>>
>> I've not seen this error.
>>
>> Where did you get your gfortran?
>
> http://r.research.att.com/gfortran-42-5664.pkg
>
>> What dependencies did you install?
>
> All, except for gnuplot and ghostscript.
>
>> What was the result of running ./configure? (it gives a summary at the end)
>>
>> Finally, please copy-n-paste the actual error.
>
> I'll attach the configure summary and the output of make check. I'm throwing
> in fntests.log as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Camillo
>
> <configure summary><tests><fntests.log>

There may be another problem, but since you're building a 64bit app you'll need
to take care of a bug in Apple's blas.

The problem is discussed in the developer's copy of README.MacOS

        http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/64ae43e0e1c0/README.MacOS

There is a patch intended for the developer's sources at the link below that
will allow the configure script to detect the problem and apply the wrapper.

        https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7468

Ben