Re: Installing sundials-2..4.0.tar.gz in octave for windows

From: Valmor de Almeida
Subject: Re: Installing sundials-2..4.0.tar.gz in octave for windows
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 15:34:46 -0500

On 01/30/2011 11:09 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 30-Jan-2011, Daniel Patience wrote:
>
> | After downloading sundials I ran the following installation command in
> Octave
> |
> | > pkg install sundials-2.4.0.tar.gz
> | package is missing file: COPYING
> |
> | so I took a file named COPYING from another package and jammed it into
> | sundials-2.4.tar.gz then got
> |
> | > pkg install sundials-2.4.0.tar.gz
> | package is missing file: DESCRIPTION
> |
> | Does anyone have a fix for this as it's also going to need an index,
> makefile
> | etc.?
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> The sundials tar file doesn't contain an Octave package, so it won't
> install with the pkg command.  But it does have a .m file script that
> can be used to install the necessary MEX and .m files with Octave.
> Unpack the sundials-2.4.0.tar.gz file, then run Octave and cd to the
> sundials-2.4.0/sundialsTB directory and run install_STB at the Octave
> prompt.  That script will ask you a few questions, compile the
> necesary files and then install the files in a directory you choose.
>
> jwe

Hi John,

A related question. Say I have written an octave code that among other
octave functions, it uses sundials for DAE's (the code is a collection
of many .m files). I would like to provide a dynamic linked function to
a matlab user to call my code (that is I would like to distribute a
closed source library). Is this possible to be done through a mex file
approach? In this case does it mean I would have to write a c++ or c
code wherein all octave functions I use in my octave code will have to
be called in the c++ code via a mexCallMATLAB?

Are there other options?

Thanks,

--
Valmor