timer function workaround tia sal22

From: ratulloch
Subject: timer function workaround tia sal22
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 13:10:55 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All
I'm trying to create a function which runs at different times very
much how
the hands of a clock works.  I planned on using the timer function to
vary the
rate at which they run like in this link
http://blogs.mathworks.com/videos/2008/05/05/advanced-matlab-timer-ob...
but octave (a matlab type of program) does not have this function.
Example of what I'm trying to do
1) have several objects that go from 0-360 degrees
incrementing by 1
2) the clock example is the best one I can think of
0-360 degrees in 1 second
0-360 degrees in 1 minute
0-360 degrees in 1 hour
Is there a way to do this without user the timer function?
tia sal22