Re: testing binary of octave-3.3.90 (mingw32) is uploaded

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: testing binary of octave-3.3.90 (mingw32) is uploaded
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:53:24 -0500

On Jan 28, 2011, at 2:55 AM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have uploaded the testing binary of octave-3.3.90 (mingw32).
>
> http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/
>
> This binary is for testing purpose for preparing octave ver. 3.4.
>
> Feedback is welcome to the octave ML.
>
> Regards
>
> Tatsuro

I was hoping to use Tatsuro's binary to test/debug printing under mingw.

I have a Windows 7 install via VirtualBox.

I do not have mingw or cygwin installed.

Octave runs, but hangs with ...

        graphics_toolkit fltk
        surf (peaks)

... the plot window never shows up.

I also encounter a hang with the gnuplot backend.

        graphics_toolkit gnuplot
        surf (peaks)

I tried running gnuplot directly and found the terminal would default to "wxt".
Plotting with the wxt terminal caused gnuplot to hang. If the terminal is set
to "windows" then gnuplot works. However, I still encounter a hang with ...

        graphics_toolkit gnuplot
        setenv ("GNUTERM", "windows")
        surf (peaks)

Advice on what I need to do to enable plotting would be appreciated.

Ben