Re: Enlarge tickmarks font size?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Enlarge tickmarks font size?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:26:58 -0500

On Jan 13, 2011, at 8:08 PM, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:35 AM, bpabbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Jan 13, 2011, at 09:04 AM, Alasdair McAndrew <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Try ..
>>>
>>>        set (gca, "fontsize", 14)
>>>
>>> If that doesn't work, let us know what version of Octave you are running.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>
>>> Thank you very much - that works fine on screen.  But when I print to a
>>> file, with
>>>
>>> print('-deps','plotfile.eps')
>>>
>>> the tick labels are as small as ever.  Why does the print command not pick
>>> up the fontsize, and how can I print to a file using larger fonts?
>>
>> Changing the axes fontsize should change the fontsize of the eps file.
>> However, gnuplot renders the fontsize for eps output at one-half the size
>> requested.
>>
>> Please try to print using different fontsizes and let us know if fontsize
>> changes.
>>
>>      plot (1:10)
>>      set (gca, "fontsize", 12)
>>      print -depsc fontsize12.eps
>>      set (gca, "fontsize", 36)
>>      print -depsc fontsize36.eps
>>
>> This should produce eps output with fontsizes 6 and 18.
>>
>> Also please tell us which version of Octave your are running.
>>
>> Ben
>
> I've discovered that the files are fine - the use of 'fontsize' does indeed
> increase the tickmark fonts, both on screen and in the generated .eps file.
> The problem seems to be in the dvips command, which I'm using to convert a
> LaTeX-generated dvi file to PostScript.  For some reason it's not picking up
> the enlarged fonts, and so when included in a LaTeX document, the final
> PostScript file includes a figure with tiny fonts.  There are ways of forcing
> dvips to download all fonts, but it's so long since I've needed anything
> other than the default settings that I've forgotten how to do it!
>
> By the way, I'm using Octave 3.2.2.
>
> Thanks,
> Alasdair

When you reply, please respond at the bottom so that those who arrive late can
follow along (from form top to bottom).

I don't think the fonts of eps files are modified by dvips, unless you are
using psfrag. Any chance you are using psfrag, or your latex document isn't
inputing the new eps file?

Ben