Re: octave for windows in live cd or usb key ?

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: octave for windows in live cd or usb key ?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 04:31:31 +0900 (JST)

Hello

Octave 3.2 itself is relocatable and does not use registry so that you can use
it on USB if you just
copy it from HDD to USB.

However, the octave-forge packages are not relocatable.  You have to execute
pkg rebuild command if
the octave binaries copied are located from original folder. Usually you have
to use 'pkg rebuild to
update to re-activate octave-forge package.'.

For pkg command, please see octave manual in detail.

I recommend that you to prepare the octave script to activate the octave-forge
packages using
pkg rebuild.

For the cd, you cannot execute pkg rebuild command.  However, you may realize
to make the octave-forge
package usable by trick technique using 'subst' dos command if you have enough
knowledge dos command.

For subst command, see
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/subst.mspx?mfr=true
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/free-software-downloads/create-persistent-substituted-drives-subst-in-windows/

The below is not confirmed so that I cannot warrant whether it works or not.

Make virtual drive on HDD using subst command.

subst Y: c:\tmp

install octave to Y:

Copy the octave binary to cd drive assigned to Y:.

Usually, cd drive does not assigned to Y:, so that you subst it to Y:.
If the cd drive assigned to e:, execute

Subst Y: e:\

Note again the above techniques are confirmed. Try it at your own risk.
Good lick

Regards

Tatsuro