Re: 'symbolic' package [was: Re: Developing Octave-Forge packages}

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: 'symbolic' package [was: Re: Developing Octave-Forge packages}
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 11:04:17 +0100

man, 27 12 2010 kl. 17:59 -0600, skrev Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
> 2010/12/27 Søren Hauberg <address@hidden>:
> > It should, however, be noted that bugs still exist in the SVN version of
> > the [symbolic] package;
>
> What are those bugs? I don't see them here:
>
>      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=2888&atid=102888

I don't think this tracker has ever been used for much besides causing
confusion...

I've been told that

  x = sym ("x");

crashes with the following output on Mac OS X

        octave(17299) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fff70340500:
        pointer being freed was not allocated
        panic: Abort trap -- stopping myself...
        attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
        save to `octave-core' complete
        Abort trap

After a bit of debugging-by-mail we were able to determine that the
error happens in line 90 of 'sym-create.cc'. That is at the end of a
block when the 'GiNaC::symbol' destructor is being called. Somehow this
causes a crash; I have been unable to determine why.

Søren