Re: Developing Octave-Forge packages

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Developing Octave-Forge packages
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:25:34 -0600

2010/12/27 Søren Hauberg <address@hidden>:
> man, 27 12 2010 kl. 08:30 -0600, skrev Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
>> Hi, I started working on Debian bug #607071 yesterday:
>>
>>      http://bugs.debian.org/607071
>
> For what it's worth, this package seems to work for me (though others
> are having grave troubles).

This is very odd. It's probably an API change in GiNac. Which version
are you using? On Debian we have 1.5.8

>> I notice that that Makefile included
>> with the package does something weird about disabling the compilation
>> environment once it's been built once. Why?
>
> Which makefile is that? I haven't noticed such behaviour of the one in
> the 'src' directory.

The one in the package's top level directory. It's got a package
target that renames the build files in src/ in order to disable them.
Is this unusual for a 'Forge package?

> Things are straight-forward when packages don't use PKG_ADD files, as
> you can just start Octave in the 'src' directory and run 'make' when
> you've changed the C++ files. With PKG_ADD files, I don't really have
> any good tricks :-(

Okay, I guess I'll have to develop my own tricks. I was hoping I could
do this without mutilating the package too much.

Another question, how do you generate a tarball from the svn sources?
I couldn't figure it out at first glance. Lots of maintainer scripts
all around, didn't know which one to call.

- Jordi G. H.