Re: Problem with installation of parallel 2.0.4 package in octave 3.0.3

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Problem with installation of parallel 2.0.4 package in octave 3.0.3
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 17:53:58 +0100

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 05:33:33PM +0200, George Kousiouris wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to install the parallel 2.0.4 package in octave 3.0.3 (fedora 9).
> I have installed other packages in the past, so i guess that relevant
> packages are already there (like octave-devel etc.).
>
> The message i get is the following:
>
> octave:1> pkg install parallel-2.0.4.tar.gz
> pserver.cc: In function βvoid reval_loop(int)β:
> pserver.cc:145: error: βoctave_completion_matches_calledβ was not
> declared in this scope
> pserver.cc:77: warning: ignoring return value of βssize_t read(int,
> void*, size_t)β, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
> pserver.cc: In function βoctave_value_list Fpserver(const
> octave_value_list&, int)β:
> pserver.cc:483: error: βinteractiveβ was not declared in this scope
> pserver.cc:193: warning: ignoring return value of βFILE* freopen(const
> char*, const char*, FILE*)β, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
> pserver.cc:194: warning: ignoring return value of βFILE* freopen(const
> char*, const char*, FILE*)β, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
> pserver.cc:201: warning: ignoring return value of βFILE* freopen(const
> char*, const char*, FILE*)β, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
> pserver.cc:337: warning: ignoring return value of βFILE* freopen(const
> char*, const char*, FILE*)β, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
> make: *** [pserver.oct] Error 1
> error: 'make' returned the following error: make: Entering directory
> `/tmp/oct-D6uniz/parallel-2.0.4/src'
> mkoctfile -s sclose.cc sock-stream.cc
> mkoctfile -s connect.cc sock-stream.cc
> mkoctfile -s pserver.cc sock-stream.cc
> make: Leaving directory `/tmp/oct-D6uniz/parallel-2.0.4/src'
> error: called from `pkg:configure_make' in file
> /usr/share/octave/3.0.3/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1248, column 2

The warnings are seen if the installed glibc has declared these
functions with "warn_unused_result". I thought I had get rid of all
these warnings; I'll probably clean up the rest soon. The package
should work despite of these warnings if there are no further errors.

The errors are due to missing declarations in the included header
files of Octave. This can have two reasons: 1. Your Octave is not
correctly installed, 2. The package does not work with this old Octave
version.

I guess 2. is more likely. I suggest you to upgrade Octave to version
3.2.4 and to try package installation again. If this solves the
problem for you, please tell me, and I'll make the package depending
on Octave >= 3.2.4.

Olaf