Re: matrix functions

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: matrix functions
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 21:15:17 +0100

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 21 December 2010 16:17, Philip Nienhuis<address@hidden>  wrote:
Prof. N. Higham developed a much improved funm version for Matlab, I suppose
funded by TMW. That is, the header of ML's R2010b funm.m (I made sure I
didn't peek at the code proper) shows it to be (C) TMW.

Are we sure N. Higham doesn't retain some copyright to the code? You
seem to know him.

No I don't (apart from knowing his name & some of his reputation).

Actually it was "Tommy Guy" (see thread on help-octave April 22, 2010) who seems to have held contacts with Higham and who got his permission to use logm.m code for Octave.

                   Could you ask him if he indeed cannot give us the
actual source code?

For a start, some more elaborate funm versions can be obtained from Higham's
site, AFAICS under GPL (one has to search a bit around there):
  http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~higham/NAMF/

I suppose you mean this one:

      http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~higham/NAMF/Funm_files.tar

I didn't find a copyright statement there. Do you have a suggestion
about how to approach the author over making this code free?

Just email him - his address is on the web page.

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.

Philip