Re: relocating octave and PKG_ADD problems.

From: Ian Stokes-Rees
Subject: Re: relocating octave and PKG_ADD problems.
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 23:49:58 -0500

Hi John,

Thanks for your comments.

On 12/21/10 10:33 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 21-Dec-2010, Ian Stokes-Rees wrote:
>
> | I am sure this would work.
> |
> | My problem is that I'm trying to install Octave to 40+ different
> | locations, and for each one there is a different prefix.
>
> Why a separate prefix for each system?  Can't you get some help from
> your sysadmins so that the location can be the same on each?

Every one of the 40 sites has a different sysadmin.  There are thousands
of users, so they don't provide per-user support unless it is high priority.

> If you really must use a separate location for each install, then you
> build with a different prefix for each system, or you can set
> OCTAVE_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately before running Octave.

Yes, I would have thought that would work, but it doesn't for me.  See
the bottom of the OP for the error I get.  As best I can tell, Octave
isn't loading the .oct files properly from
$OCTAVE_HOME/libexec/octave/3.2.4/oct/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Ian