Re: dsolve in octave?

From: c.
Subject: Re: dsolve in octave?
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 07:58:45 +0100

On 18 Dec 2010, at 23:53, v.m.1 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using octave 3.2.3 in ubuntu 10.04. I cant find a package for dsolve
> support.
>
> Does octave support the function dsolve() ?
>
> Thanks!

Hi,

Although there is a 'symbolic' package (which I never actually used) for Octave
distributed via octave-forge,
Octave is mainly meant for doing numerical, not symbolic, calculadions. You can
solve differential equations
in Octave with functions ad 'lsode' or 'daspk', but what you will get is a
numerical rapresentation of the
solution. If you really want to solve the equation analytically, I would
recommend you try using a CAS like,
for example, Maxima [1,2].

HTH,
c.

[1] Maxima website: http://maxima.sourceforge.net
[2] Solving differential equations with Maxima:
http://maxima.sourceforge.net/docs/manual/en/maxima_22.html#SEC83