[statistics] computing properties on repeated data ?

From: CdeMills
Subject: [statistics] computing properties on repeated data ?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 03:06:27 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
I have input-output measurements which I would like to characterise by a
covariance matrix. The trick is that each entry in the input sequence is
repeated, so I can compute a raw variance estimate of the output sequence,
for each level of the input sequence. From those estimates I can compute a
variance matrix for the whole output sequence. Such a function would have
two inputs, a data sequence and a grouping sequence. The target is to deal
with data which are not homoscedastic. Does such function already exists? If
not, should they belong to base-octave or octave-forge ?

Regards

Pascal