Fwd: Octave does not start gnuplot

From: kr
Subject: Fwd: Octave does not start gnuplot
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:14:38 +0100

Ben, thanks for the quick response!

> If you prefer to use MacPorts, first remove Fink's gnuplot.
>
>       $ fink remove gnuplot

heh, but that's the only version (fink's 4.2.6) that works ;)

> I assume you've installed Octave via MacPorts? If not, I recommend you
> uninstall Octave as well and install the one from MacPorts.

Yes, I've the latest version (3.2.4) from MacPorts.

> When you type '[s, o] = system ("which gnuplot")' at Octave's command prompt,
> is the gnuplot installed by MacPorts returned?

It was MacPort's gnuplot (/opt/local/var/macports/...), but I've changed it to
fink's (/sw/bin/gnuplot) to get the plots via Aquaterm work.

I also changed GNUTERM and GNUPLOT to 'aqua'. But this causes octave to load
both X11 AND aqua and plots into aqua.

But I would prefer a clean solution (only 'aqua' should) like it was the
behavior of fink's octave and fink's gnuplot.

The reason I switched from fink to MacPorts are the newer versions of those
programs and MacPorts has QTOctave.

> Once Octave see's your MacPorts version of gnuplot, what happens when you
> type 'getenv ("GNUTERM")' at Octave's command prompt? If the result is
> "aqua", do you have Aquaterm installed? ... if not you can (1) install
> Aquaterm, or (2) type 'setenv ("GNUTERM", "x11")' and start X11 to allow
> gnuplot to work.

Thank you for your suggestion [setenv ("GNUTERM", "x11")], this solution works
fine with MacPort's gnuplot.

I think, I'll have to live with X...

Ben, thanks again!