Re: Octave does not start gnuplot

From: bpabbott
Subject: Re: Octave does not start gnuplot
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:31:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Dec 15, 2010, at 03:20 PM, blixa <address@hidden> wrote:

Same problem for me. Tried version 4.4.2 (actual), 4.4.0 and 4.2.5 from
MacPorts with no success. I got no errors, but also no plots.
Fink's version 4.2.6 works fine... It would be interesting to find a
solution because I prefer MacPorts ;)

If you prefer to use MacPorts, first remove Fink's gnuplot.

$ fink remove gnuplot

I assume you've installed Octave via MacPorts? If not, I recommend you uninstall Octave as well and install the one from MacPorts.

When you type '[s, o] = system ("which gnuplot")' at Octave's command prompt, is the gnuplot installed by MacPorts returned?

If not please post to the MacPorts mail-list to find out how to fix your path.

Once Octave see's your MacPorts version of gnuplot, what happens when you type 'getenv ("GNUTERM")' at Octave's command prompt? If the result is "aqua", do you have Aquaterm installed? ... if not you can (1) install Aquaterm, or (2) type 'setenv ("GNUTERM", "x11")' and start X11 to allow gnuplot to work.

Ben