Re: configure problem with octave-3.2.12

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: configure problem with octave-3.2.12
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:19:02 -0600

Karl, I will reply publicly, if that's ok. I'm not as smart alone as
the entire collective of Octave users and developers, so I will keep
the conversation public in order to leverage the wisdom of the masses.

2010/12/14 Karl Woelfer <address@hidden>:
> My preference is to have executable binaries;

In that case, what is the objection to

    # apt-get install octave3.2

?

> I built the library readline.o and copied this to /usr/X11R6/bin but
> I still got the same results. I also copied the realine libraries
> libreadline.so.6.1 and libhistory.so.6.1 to /usr/X11R6/lib.

There is little benefit obtained in tracking down and compiling
dependencies yourself instead of relying on packaged binaries. If you
have problems with the latest stable release of Octave as packaged for
Debian, I recommend you use the packaged versions of the dependencies
in order to help you compile the latest Octave development snapshot:

    # apt-get build-dep octave3.2

If you really want to compile everything for some reason, I recommend
a source-based distribution like Gentoo instead of a binary-based
distribution like Ubuntu.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.