Octave beginner-reading info from text file

From: Zamuel
Subject: Octave beginner-reading info from text file
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 02:16:20 -0800 (PST)

Hello!

I am a total beginner with Octave with some experience and knowledge from
programming languages.
I am trying to figure out how to read a matrices (total of four) from a text
file called 'example.mat'.

Matrices can exist where ever in a file but they always start with following
lines:
# name: /HOME/AUTO/MEASUREMENT/B
# type: matrix
# rows: 25
# columns: 778
-1798.95 -1319.203 -839.456 -365.3882 93.78099 552.9503 ...

In the "#name" field the last char is always different (A,B,C or D).

Alternatively the same file contains same info in a string form:

$VAR1 = {
          'name' => '/HOME/AUTO/MEASUREMENT/',
          'data' => [
                      [
                        '-1798.95',
                        '-1319.203',
                        '-839.456',
                        '-365.3882',
                        '-20115.15'
                      ],
                      [
                        '-2190.332'
                        (...)
                      ]
                    ],
          'rows' => 25,
          'cols' => 778

Personally I don't care from which format I can get the info, I just have to
read it and eventually count the mean from the values.

Could someone help me?