Re: error found... and reading NetCDF data

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: error found... and reading NetCDF data
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 08:58:23 -0600

On 13 December 2010 04:46, Noersomadi <address@hidden> wrote:
> I had installed Octave under Ubuntu 10.10 by default (it was installed
> Octave-3.2.4).

Did you install the Ubuntu packages or did you compile from source?

> I found some error reports after installation. The messages are:
>
> error: fclose: invalid stream number = -1
> error: called from:
> error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 363, column 1
> error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/startup/octaverc at line 25, column 1
>
> What is the meaning of these errors?

Did this happen during dpkg's run? Do you have more details of how the
installation proceeded, which packages were you installing, if you
were using packages?

> How can I upgrade my octave-3.2.4 into version 3.3.51 or higher (the latest
> version) ?

"Upgrade" might be the wrong term here; "update" would be better.
Although 3.3.51 is newer, it's not necessarily less buggy than 3.2.4.
Of course many bugs have been squashed in the current development
snapshots, but surely others have crept in as well. Also, I'm not sure
if by "latest version" do you mean the latest development snapshot or
the current hg sources, which might not even compile at any particular
snapshot in time.

In case you're determined to compile the development sources of Octave
yourself, probably the easiest way to do so is to first do "apt-get
build-dep octave3.2" with root privileges, obtain the sources either
from a development snapshot or the Mercurial repositories, and then
follow the usual GNU build process: ./configure
--prefix=/path/to/installation/location && make && make install or
just ./run-octave to run it in-place without attempting to copy it to
a different location. Some Octave-Forge packages might need
recompilation against this Octave version if you want to use them.
Report any problems you might face while compiling or help us fix
them.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.