Re: dlmread problem

From: Keith Grider
Subject: Re: dlmread problem
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:37:37 -0600

I am just defining the matrix name when I run the command.

It does the same thing if I type:
octave:39> dlmread("test.txt"," ",1,0)
ans =

   -0.00900 +  0.00000i
   -0.02800 +  0.00000i
   -0.01600 +  0.00000i
   -0.00300 +  0.00000i
   -0.02200 +  0.00000i
   -0.01600 +  0.00000i
   -0.00300 +  0.00000i
    0.00300 +  0.00000i
   -0.00900 +  0.00000i
   -0.00300 +  0.00000i
   -0.00900 +  0.00000i
   -0.01600 +  0.00000i

The file is called test.txt and is this:
1000.0
-0.009 0.000
-0.028 0.000
-0.016 0.000
-0.003 0.000
-0.022 0.000
-0.016 0.000
-0.003 0.000
0.003 0.000
-0.009 0.000
-0.003 0.000
-0.009 0.000
-0.016 0.000

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Martin Helm <address@hidden> wrote:
Am Dienstag, 30. November 2010, 19:11:16 schrieb keithspg:
> It appears that dlmread is now integrated in the main octave files. It does
> not currently function as it did in 3.2.4. I am running 3.3.54 and dlmread
> seems to assume that my 2 columns of data is a single column of complex
> numbers. Is this expected behavior? I have tried it with 3.2.4 and it is
> able to load my data as expected and does not assume that they are complex
> numbers. My current workaround is to delete the header and use load, but I
> would like this to work as it did before or if there is a workaround,
> please let me know.
>
> octave:27> bob1=dlmread("test.txt"," ",1,0)
> bob1 =
>
>    -0.00900 +  0.00000i
>    -0.02800 +  0.00000i
>    -0.01600 +  0.00000i
>    -0.00300 +  0.00000i
>    -0.02200 +  0.00000i
>    -0.01600 +  0.00000i
>    -0.00300 +  0.00000i
>
> the data is generated from a NI data Acq:
>
> 1000.0
> -0.009        0.000
> -0.028        0.000
> -0.016        0.000
> -0.003        0.000
> -0.022        0.000
> -0.016        0.000
> -0.003        0.000
>

> I tried to investigate the latest version from mercurial to see if this has
> changed with dlmread, but I was  not able to compile it. I was able to
> successfully download and compile the 3.3.54 package, but the mercurial
> repository which I grabbed a couple of weeks ago will not compile. I am
> running Ubuntu 10.10 fully updated and think I have all I need as I did
> compile the 3.3.54 version...
>
> The error upon conclusion is:  whole slew of 'not declared in this scope'
> errors then:
>
> make[3]: *** [liboctinterp_la-lex.lo] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/octave/src'
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/octave/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/octave'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

I cannot see this behaviour with the data you show with 3.3.53, 3.3.54 or the
development sources (opensuse 11.3).
Is bob1 a new variable or was it somehow declared before you used it?