Re: octave, arpack, umfpack

From: sibu xolo
Subject: Re: octave, arpack, umfpack
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 02:12:30 +0000

On Thursday 18 November 2010 17:54:33 John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 18-Nov-2010, sibu xolo wrote:
> | thanks for your suggestion,  unfortunately this will not work for me
> | because:-
> | A)I have a modern version of atlas(3.9.32) and lapack (3.2.2) and  I
> | want all fortran-based  numeric programs using the same consistent
> | BLAS/LAPACK interface(S).
> | B)the  octave-3.3.53 autoconf script 'sees' installed  umfpack and arpack
> | provided they are not linked to  the atlas(BLAS) and lapack I have
> | installed.
>
> I don't understand what the problem is.  You are going to have to
> provide more information about precisely why the configure script is
> failing to detect the libraries.  I suggest you look at the output in
> config.log.  What does that tell you about why the libraries you want
> to use are not detected.
>
> | (I am hoping) is cause for optimism  that a fix  (with  someone making my
> | day) is  on the way.
>
> You may have to "make your own day" since I don't see the problem that
> you are having.

Seems I had  some fortitious beginners luck  and half a day descended as
manner from heaven   as it   just   'compiled' with the libumfpack and
libcholmod  et al  prepared as described previously.

The other half   is unmade.   It will not compile with arpack that has been
compiled and linked with lapack-3.2.2 and atlas3.9.32.  I tried both
libapack.so and libarpack.a. The  config.log  entries  respectively are:-

--for libarpack.so:- 'undefined rererence to 'etime_'.
--for libarpack.a:- (arscmd.f   in function 'asrscmd_'
arscmd.f :(text+0xe) undefined reference to 'etime_'

suggestion for my other good half a day will be gratefully received