Re: Catching up to Matlab

From: Jason Martin
Subject: Re: Catching up to Matlab
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 19:09:11 -0500

On 11/16/2010 4:24 PM, Thomas Weber wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 05:07:46AM -0800, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>> Because Octave _users_ need _good_ documentation and can't care less about
>> the developers' ideological objections to providing a link.
>
> I'm sorry, but according to my bank, the paycheck from said users hasn't
> arrived yet. So, these users will have to deal with whatever I deem
> worth my free, unpaid time.
>
> I have a feeling that none of the other developers has yet received said
> check for improving the documentation, either.
>
>       Thomas

WHAT?!?!  That check for 2 million nibbles never got to you?!?  How
embarassing...

All joking aside, I personally do not feel that the documentation is all
as bad as it is being made out to be.  Granted that it would be nice to
have more concise and understandable examples on some of the functions,
I can usually work it out.

Maybe it is because I went out and bought the book.. no that isn't it as
that is simply the online documentation in a paper format.

The simple  fact of the matter is, as with all open source projects or
closed source free ones too, you see something that you feel needs
fixing, fix it.  Then submit your fix to the developers and be patient
while it is reviewed and processed.  If it meets their criteria, then it
is accepted and if not, then hopefully you will get a response as to
why.  Stirring up a nest in order to try and get something changed is
not necessarily the wisest path to follow.

Well, those are my 2 marshmallows in the campfire.