Re: Packages not installing

From: Liam Groener
Subject: Re: Packages not installing
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:27:12 -0800

On Nov 15, 2010, at 1:10 PM, Charlotte Wickham wrote:

> I'm new to Octave. Downloaded and installed on Mac (Snow Leopard) using the
> binary (octave-3.2.3-i386.dmg).  I'm now attempting to install a package
> with no luck.  No errors but no package either:
>
> octave-3.2.3:1> pkg install -verbose ~/Downloads/statistics-1.0.10.tar.gz.gz
> mkdir (/var/folders/Ku/KumFiiAnGRKRpa6Uzb+Ol++++TI/-Tmp-/oct-ZMefRk)
> untar (/Users/wickham/Downloads/statistics-1.0.10.tar.gz.gz,
> /var/folders/Ku/KumFiiAnGRKRpa6Uzb+Ol++++TI/-Tmp-/oct-ZMefRk)
> octave-3.2.3:2> pkg list
> no packages installed.
> octave-3.2.3:3>
>
> Any ideas on what is going wrong?
> --

I suspect your problem is that the 3.2.3 binary available at Octave Forge was
made when Mac OS X defaulted to 32 bit compiles. With Snow Leopard the default
is 64 bits. Therefore, with any package that includes source to be compiled,
your mkoctfile has to be modified to force 32 bit compiles.

You will find mkoctfile at:

/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/mkoctfile

assuming octave.app is installed in your system applications folder.

 For your convenience, I've attached a copy of my modified mkoctfile.

If you want to try this out without modifying or replacing your existing
mkoctfile, you can place it in a folder in your octave path. (Enter help
addpath and help savepath to see how to put a folder in your path.)

Liam G.