Re: Catching up to Matlab

From: Dotan Cohen
Subject: Re: Catching up to Matlab
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:06:11 +0200

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 17:33, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> | to modify 'octave' built-in 'help' function in a manner it will in
> | addition to displaying 'octave' built-in documentation will display
> | the corresponding Matlab documentation by invoking WEB browser with
> | URL pointing to Matlab documentation of the same function.
>
> You are free to do what you like with the help function (subject to
> the terms of the GPL) but I don't think a patch like you describe will
> be accepted as part of Octave.  I certainly would not apply it, and
> would likely remove it if someone else did.

Actually, I think that having a link to the corresponding Matlab
documentation from within the Octave documentation itself would be a
big help. The single researcher who I introduced Matlab to (mostly the
reason that I'm on this list) I know for a fact uses Matlab
documentation with Octave. This would save her that much effort (just
a little) and frustration (from what I gather, a lot).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com