Plotting a matrix

From: Mph
Subject: Plotting a matrix
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 23:39:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,
I am  a (quite inexpert) C programmer and I would like to use Octave to
create a graphic representation of some data output.
What I have is a similarity matrix (aka distance matrix), so it's something
like this (my actual matrix is a lot bigger):

Matrix = [
1, 0.25, 0.5, 1;
 0.25, 1, 0.75, 0.25;
0.5; 0.75, 1, 0.5;
1, 0.25, 0.5, 1 ]

What I would like to have is an image like this:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n3037323/Distance_matrix.png

where each element [x,y] of the array corresponds to the [x,y]th pixel, and
the value of the element corresponds to the color of the pixel (1 being
black and 0 being white, for example).  Since my knowledge of Octave is
equal to zero, I would really appreciate if anyone could suggest me which
commands or functions I should use, and how to use them.
Thanks in advance for your attention!

Mph