Re: Symbolic Package Errors

From: Spencer Jackson
Subject: Re: Symbolic Package Errors
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:23:10 -0700

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Spencer Jackson <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Martin Helm <address@hidden> wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 10. November 2010, 02:32:10 schrieb Spencer Jackson:
> Hi all:
>
> I hope this is the right place for this instead of the maintainers list.
>
> Symbolic is installed (shows up from pkg 'list') but I can't use it at all.
> I've never had a problem till I updated to Ubuntu maverick last month.
> s=sym('s') just returns a "sym undefined" error, and so most of the other
> functions in the package return that same error.
>
> Any help would be great, I've played with it for a while but I don't know
> what else to try. I use symbols a lot in my controls classes so I hope to
> fix it soon if I can.
> Thanks,
> _Spencer

I know it is a stupid question, but you say symbolic shows in "pkg list" and
do not mention if it is really loaded.
Does pkg load symbolic change that behaviour?
Or may be some dependency (ginac) is not installed, can you check that (if
that is the case and your symbolic comes from the ubuntu packages it would be
a bug to be reported to ubuntu).

It is loaded (pkg 'describe' 'symbolic') and I double checked to make sure I have ginac (libginac1.5) and cln (libcln6) as well as the respective -dev packages for both. I will try the ubuntu community and see if any answers come and get back to you.

Thanks everyone.
_Spencer

Thanks again everyone. It must be whatever Debian repository Ubuntu Maverick is using because I downloaded and manually installed (pkg install symbolic-1.0.9.tar.gz) and its working.
_Spencer