Re: Anyone using Octave for EEM fluorescence data and/or parallel factor

From: fork
Subject: Re: Anyone using Octave for EEM fluorescence data and/or parallel factor analysis?
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 00:25:29 +0000 (UTC)

Swift, Ted J. <tswift <at> water.ca.gov> writes:

> I'm investigating using Octave as an alternative to
> Matlab to run Rasmus Bro's "N-Way Toolbox" of parallel factor
> analysis (PARAFAC) tools to analyze spectrofluorescence
>data. I've just gone ahead
> and downloaded Octave 3.2.4 and will forge ahead
>with figuring out how to get
> started.

Cool.  It might as simple as addpathing to the m-code and running your Matlab
code in Octave, though you are pretty much confined to the command line.

You might want to look at the "%!test" functionality in Octave, btw.

> But I'd appreciate advice about any recent publications
> about Octave, and specifically any
> work you may know of on Octave application
> to excitation-emission matrix (EEM, a 2-D matrix)
> data analysis. I've been
> Googling around, and I've read
> Alsberg and Hagen's 2006 paper, but I haven't
> seen anything substantial more
> recent than that. I'm hopeful that one or more
> of you might have some inside scoop on recent applications.

I don't know what anybody would write about -- if an EEM matrix is stored as a
regular 2-D matrix, Octave would neither add nor subtract anything from an
algorithm implemented in Matlab, except for license fees and encumbrances. It
should be completely transparent, and if it isn't, submit it as a bug.  (I wish
that sort of thing was worhty of a journal article....)