Re: missing text on plots

From: Amirali Abdullah
Subject: Re: missing text on plots
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 14:55:53 -0700

Ben, thank you so much. That fixed the problem. I'm feeling rather dumb for not having figured it out earlier. I appreciate your time.
Amir.

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
On Nov 9, 2010, at 8:47 AM, Amirali Abdullah wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Nov 9, 2010, at 2:44 AM, amirali1985 wrote:
>>
>> > Hi there. I'm using Octave 3.2.3 on Ubuntu 10.04. Whenever I use plot() on
>> > Octave, my figures have absolutely no text on the axes, no numbering visible
>> > on the axes tic marks, no title, etc. I have tried the xlabel/ylabel/title
>> > functions, but no text is produced. (The legend command does work though,
>> > and the curves themselves are fine, albeit without text).
>> >
>> > No error messages or warnings are generated, and when I checked gnuplot
>> > independently, running it outside octave, no such errors were produced. Are
>> > there any ideas on what might be wrong, or at least what I should be
>> > checking out? I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious in the
>> > documentation or forums; a cursory search didn't turn up any mention of this
>> > specific problem.
>>
>> I've not seen this before, but suggest you first verify that gnuplot works correctly. Pease ...
>>
>> (1) run gnuplot
>> (2) type "plot sin(x)"
>>
>> Are the tickmark labeled correctly?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Thank you for the response Ben. As I mentioned earlier, I tried running from gnuplot outside octave. When I open gnuplot, and type "plot(sin(x))", everything displays correctly with tic-marks. Is there any more information I could provide?
> Thanks,
> Amir.

Opps ... sorry I missed your earlier comment on gnuplot.

I suggest you try setting your default font to something other than "*".

For example, you might try "Arial"

       set (0, "defaultaxesfontname", "Arial")
       set (0, "defaulttextfontname", "Arial")

Ben