plot not functioning normally

From: Amirali Abdullah
Subject: plot not functioning normally
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:54:22 -0700

Hi there. I'm using Octave 3.2.3 on Ubuntu 10.04. Whenever I use plot() on Octave, my figures have absolutely no text on the axes, no numbering visible on the axes tic marks, no title, etc. I have tried the xlabel/ylabel/title functions, but no text is produced. (The legend command does work though, and the curves themselves are fine, albeit without text).

No error messages or warnings are generated, and when I checked gnuplot independently, running it outside octave, no such errors were produced. Are there any ideas on what might be wrong, or at least what I should be checking out? I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious in the documentation or forums; a cursory search didn't turn up any mention of this specific problem.