Identifying a rectangluar area made up of small dots (80%-20% screen)

From: Ian Journeaux
Subject: Identifying a rectangluar area made up of small dots (80%-20% screen)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 19:27:10 -0500

In one of the analysis methods we are developing, I need to determine the
location of a rectangular area that is made up of tiny dots in an image. In
print terms it is a 20% to 80% screen. The area beterrn the dots is white
the dots are black

Once I have the area identified, I can perform the analysis on the image.
Unfortunately right now finding the area to analyze takes as long as doing
the analysis.

Any thoughts on a technique that might be more efficient?