Re: executing plot in background

From: Rudolf Widmer-Schnidrig
Subject: Re: executing plot in background
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:04:51 +0200

On 28.10.10 19:11, Bob Odom wrote:
You can use

figure ("visible", "off");

or

set (0, "defaultfigure", "off");

To turn screen printing back on, replace "off" with "on".

This is also handy if you are running remotely and don't want the figures to display.

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Begoña Fuentes wrote:

Hello everyone,I am trying to save some plots, and for that I am successfully using
"print" command, printing them to certain .png files.

The problem is that I would like to execute my program in background, without the user
knowing that some graphs are being plotted. This is: when I launch the .m and the plots
are drawn just before the print command I don't want to see them. I just want the .m to
write those graphs in png files.

So is there any possibility of "telling" octave not to show me the plots while they are
being drawn to a file?

Any help here is quite appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

--
Begoña Fuentes

Dear Bob,   this is a very useful piece of information. I wonder how I could have figured this one out by myself.
The option is neither documnted in the printed "GNU Octave Manual Version 3" nor in the online help: "help figure".

I run Ovtave 3.0.5

                                 regards         -Ruedi

              Rudolf Widmer-Schnidrig
              Black Forest Observatory (BFO)
              Heubach 206
      D-77709 Wolfach, Germany
              e-mail: address@hidden
              phone:  +49 7836 2151
              fax:  +49 7836 955240
              48d 19' 48.24" North  8d 19' 23.13" East