Re: make error: dir-ops.cc:61: error: ‘ strerror ’ is not a member of ‘

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: make error: dir-ops.cc:61: error: ‘ strerror ’ is not a member of ‘ gnulib ’
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 04:39:59 -0400

On 22-Oct-2010, Alexandru Cabuz wrote:

| Excuse me for jumping in, but I am having the same problem, on Debian, lenny.
| I have upgraded the automake to 1.11 from testing...
|
| When I try to run autogen.sh I get this:
|
| generating source lists for liboctave/Makefile...
| ../liboctave/vx-op-inc.mk is unchanged
| ../liboctave/vx-op-src.mk is unchanged
| ../liboctave/mx-op-inc.mk is unchanged
| ../liboctave/mx-op-src.mk is unchanged
| ../liboctave/smx-op-inc.mk is unchanged
| ../liboctave/smx-op-src.mk is unchanged
| generating doc/interpreter/images.mk...
| awk: Fatal: ne peut ouvrir le fichier source « images.awk » pour lecture
| (Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type)
| generating src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/module.mk...
| ../../src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/module.mk is unchanged
| bootstrapping...
| autogen.sh: line 23: ./bootstrap: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
|
| Which means bootstrap, file not found. I am on the 3.3.52. On the 3.3.53 it is
| exactly the same.
|
| Why would the bootstrap file be missing ? Am i missing something really really
| obvious ?

It should not be missing (I'll see about fixing that, so it is
included in future snapshots and releases), but if you are building
from one of the tar files, you don't need it, and you don't need to
run autogen.sh.  You should be able to build Octave from a snapshot
tar file by doing (for example):

  tar zxf octave-3.3.53.tar.gz
  cd octave-3.3.53
  ./configure