Re: system() implementation is somehow broken

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: system() implementation is somehow broken
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:19:14 -0400

On 21-Oct-2010, Dr. Johannes Zellner wrote:

| thanks for the quick answer.
|
| I'll file a bug / suggestion for edit().
|
| I still don't understand system() fully, e.g. with 'async':
|
| system('sleep 3', 'async') % --> waits until sleep returns

That's because the second argument is always interpreted as
RETURN_OUTPUT, not TYPE.  It's value doesn't matter.

| system('sleep 3', [], 'async') % --> returns immediately the pid of the child
| process
|
| is this what is expeced?

Yes, but after giving this some more thought, I agree that this is not
the best behavior.  So I checked in the following change which I think
allows a bit more flexible usage and I hope also makes the doc string
clearer.

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/fbec4b3be59f

jwe