Re: textscan wanted

From: Dr. Johannes Zellner
Subject: Re: textscan wanted
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:52:45 +0200

Ben,

thanks // where do I get strread which is used in your function?
--
Johannes

2010/10/20 Ben Abbott <address@hidden>
On Oct 20, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2010, at 1:39 PM, Dr. Johannes Zellner wrote:

>>> I've opened a ticket in the bug tracker.
>>>
>>>       https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?31380
>>>
>>> For now, have you looked at using textread() instead? Unfortunately, textread() is not fully compatible with the ML version.
>>>
>>> The syntax for ML's textscan is ...
>>>
>>> C = textscan (fid, 'format')
>>> C = textscan (fid, 'format', N)
>>> C = textscan (fid, 'format', 'param', value)
>>> C = textscan (fid, 'format', N, 'param', value)
>>> C = textscan (str, ...)
>>> [C, position] = textscan (...)
>>>
>>> If you don't require the input "N", it should be straight forward to modify scantext() to implement textscan(). A quick fix would support the limited syntax below.
>>>
>>> C = textscan (fid, 'format')
>>> C = textscan (fid, 'format', 'param', value)
>>> C = textscan (str, ...)
>>>
>>> Would that be useful to you?
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>> thanks for the quick response.
>> It would be more useful, if it would also allow the input parameter N.
>>
>> regards,
>
> Ok. Can you provide a simple example with both an input file and a script that uses textscan() with the parameter N to read some data?
>
> Ben

I found some simple examples on the web, and made an attempt at implementing the function.

I'd appreciate it if you can try the attached textscan.m and let us know if it works for you.

Ben