Re: maximizing hyperthreading in Octave

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: maximizing hyperthreading in Octave
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:18:11 +0200

>I recently bought a new PC with an i7-920 quad-core processor capable of
>hyperthreading (total of 8 threads).  At least in my existing code, it
>appears that my simulation uses up to 4 threads simultaneously (although the
>Resource Monitor lists only 1).  Does anyone know how Octave threads
>processes, and what are good coding practices to maximize hyperthreading in
>Octave?  Would using fork() also help?  I'm currently running version 3.2.3
>on Windows 7.

Octave is not itself multithreaded.  However, it could use multiple
threads if the libraries it uses are compiled to do so.

Generally speaking, you must manage parallelism yourself.  You can find
several similar discussions and explanations in the mailing list
archive.  Look for "parcellfun", "MPI", "MPITB".

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040