maximizing hyperthreading in Octave

From: Tim Rueth
Subject: maximizing hyperthreading in Octave
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 01:15:54 -0700

I recently bought a new PC with an i7-920 quad-core processor capable of hyperthreading (total of 8 threads).  At least in my existing code, it appears that my simulation uses up to 4 threads simultaneously (although the Resource Monitor lists only 1).  Does anyone know how Octave threads processes, and what are good coding practices to maximize hyperthreading in Octave?  Would using fork() also help?  I'm currently running version 3.2.3 on Windows 7.

Thanks,

--Tim