Re: image acquisition (under Windows)

From: Martijn Brouwer
Subject: Re: image acquisition (under Windows)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 00:35:55 +0200

Hi,
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:15:43 -0400
John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On the other hand, Firewire (IEEE1394) cameras do have a defined
> interface with which I think most vendors comply.  Let me look
> around, but I am pretty sure I have code for an Octave extension
> (compiles to an .oct file) that uses the libdc1394 library to acquire
> images.
>
> John Swensen

John, I would like to try your code. Image acquisition for octave would
be great. Currently I working on a project that involves measurement
(image acquisition) outside the lab, without access to the M** license
server.
Unfortunately, many scientific fireware camera's doe not comply with
the DCAM standard. The AVG camera's don't if I am correct, and Q-Imaging
not for sure.
OpenCV is a nice alternative. In the last version it has octave
bindings (swig based). On windows it support any camera supported by
Video for Windows or DCAM, on linux all DCAM and V4L compatible
camera's.
In my impression it is still rough: I have been able to use OpenCV
on windows using the python bindings. On linux I did not have succes so
far. But it is worthwhile to investigate.

Bye,

Martijn