Re: XLSReadWrite and Octave for Windows

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: XLSReadWrite and Octave for Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:41:52 -0500

2010/10/12 Ian Journeaux <address@hidden>:
> I am really interested and have an immediate need but appreciate that there
> may be other priorities. Love to help if I can.
>
> Would this development require the ability to compile up Octave? Or can it
> be accomplished by modifying scripts. I haven't been able to create an
> environment where I can compile Octave so I am limited there.
>
> Any recommendations on which XLS interface to use within Octave? (that meets
> license requirements.

The package I worked with was PHPExcel, a PHP translation of some Perl
package I forget. It is free (GPL compatible, iirc) and does a decent
job of writing XLS files. It has a fairly simple API.

I suppose it could be possible to implement an XLS writer entirely in
m-scripts, but I think this may be more trouble than it's worth.
PHPExcel and its ilk are quite mature. Perhaps the geodesic path would
be to write an Octave wrapper to these other packages in PHP or Perl.

I can´t help at the moment because my development laptop is in the shop.