Re: fatal error

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: fatal error
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 12:08:38 -0400

On  8-Oct-2010, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:

| On 7 October 2010 06:08, Anton <address@hidden> wrote:
| > Did anybody get into this kind of error when installing octave:
|
| Installing how? What operating system?
|
| > fatal in the future): value "Math" in key "Categories" in group "Desktop
| > Entry" requires another category to be present among the following
| > categories: Education;Science
|
| This looks like a packaging error, not about Octave, but about some
| packager's binary distribution of Octave.

Hmm, I think the error message is actually coming from the
desktop-file-install program, which is run for the install target in
examples/Makefile.  The rule in the Makefile should be

install install-strip:
        -if test -n "$(DESKTOP_FILE_INSTALL)"; then \
          $(DESKTOP_FILE_INSTALL) --dir=$(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/applications \
            --vendor www.octave.org octave.desktop; \
        fi
.PHONY: install install-strip

The leading - on the if command here means that any error is supposed
to be ignored, so I'd be surprised if this actually kills the
install.  But if it does, you can fix the problem by removing
this section of the install target rules.  It's not like the desktop
menu info file thing has to be installed for Octave to function.
OTOH, you migth also fix the examples/octave.desktop.in file so that
the desktop install program doesn't complain.  I'm not sure precisely
what change is needed, so it would also help if you (or someone) could
tell us what changes are required to avoid the error.

Thanks,

jwe