Octave under windows - can't get image display

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Octave under windows - can't get image display
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:16:14 +1000

Hello,

I'm trying to help some students set up octave under windows for image processing.  I myself use Linux, for which I've had no troubles at all.  I downloaded the windows .exe file for them, and got it set up and running.  There seem to be two issues:

1) I can't extend the path; Octave doesn't even recognize files in the current directory.

2) This is the more serious issue: gnuplot doesn't seem to work.  All graphics functions, such as "imshow(x)" either do nothing, or at best display an empty (gnuplot) window which hangs, and has to be forcibly stopped.  Can I use another version of gnuplot, or is there another package completely to use for image display?  I tried using the image_viewer function, but that doesn't seem to work under windows.

Any help would be most gratefully received!

Thanks,
Alasdair