Re: How to access COM Port with Octave?

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: How to access COM Port with Octave?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 06:47:54 -0400

On Sep 21, 2010, at 2:55 PM, GMX wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I have a question to Octave.
> Is there a possibility to access the COM port in Octave? I'm using a
> winXP maschine. I searched the web but still found no informations about
> successful solutions.
> Matlab offers a serial.m but I found nothing similar for Octave.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> André

Another option involve(s) using the ser2net library.  Octave already has a
sockets package and the ser2net server allows you to connect over a socket and
then send and receive over the serial port.  I know that this package used to
be available on Cygwin (I haven't used cygwin in 5-6 years so don't know
whether it is still available).  I also know of one lab that had a very old PC
that they put a tiny Linux distribution on whose sole purpose was to run
ser2net and connect to their device over serial.  Then they could control the
device from any networked machine.

John Swensen