Octave version of Matlab's "pixval on"?

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Octave version of Matlab's "pixval on"?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:34:36 +1000

I'm about to teach an image processing course using Octave, based on a successful course using Matlab I taught a few years ago.  Happily almost everything translates across without any change, which is delightful.  However - the "imshow" command of Matlab has a "pixval on" option, which produces a little status bar overlaid on the image which shows the current position and pixel values under the cursor.  This is very nice for teaching and general image exploration.  Is there a way of obtaining the same thing in Octave?  I know I can do 'image_viewer ("display %s")' and use the display function from Image Magick, but I was wondering if there was a way of having Octave do it directly.

Thanks,
Alasdair