Plot problem in octave 3.2.4_gcc4.4.0 on Windows XP pro sp3

From: Callender, Alan (GE Power & Water, Non-GE)
Subject: Plot problem in octave 3.2.4_gcc4.4.0 on Windows XP pro sp3
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:45:53 -0400

Whereas I can run 3.2.3_gcc4.4.0 on this machine and plot(x,y) works fine, I
get a warning "warning: isstr is obsolete and will be removed from a future
version of Octave, please use ischar instead" when first plot(x, y) is invoked
on simple row vectors.  The first call returns without starting a gnuplot
window; on a subsequent call the gnuplot window starts, and shows cursor
position info at the bottom left, but window remains busy and doesn't plot.  If
a newplot or figure command is added, the plot command hangs with the same lack
of anything showing in the gnuplot window.
I would very much rather use the 3.2.4 since I need Matlab compatability for a
very limited part of the handle graphics.
The precompiled binary from sourceforge shows 'Octave was configured for
"i686-pc-mingw32".'

Thanks,
Al Callender
CTQ/CDI Aerospace