RE: need help

From: Ortega, Mariela M. (DFRC-ME)[ARCATA ASSOCIATES INC]
Subject: RE: need help
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:28:41 -0500

Thank-You

I will try this..

Mariela

-----Original Message-----
From: Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 5:02 PM
To: Ortega, Mariela M. (DFRC-ME)[ARCATA ASSOCIATES INC]
Cc: address@hidden

On 13 September 2010 18:33, Ortega, Mariela M. (DFRC-ME)[ARCATA
ASSOCIATES INC] <address@hidden> wrote:
> I need to install octave in linux 2.6.18

Which distribution? Are you sure it's not already packaged? If you're
in an apt-based distribution (e.g. Debian or Ubuntu) try "apt-get
install octave". If you're in an rpm-based distribution (e.g. Red Hat,
Fedora, or SUSE) try "yum install octave" or "zypper install octave".
Note that you will almost certainly need root privileges to perform
this operation.

> I downloaded octave 3.2.4. When I run the ./install-sh script [...]

That script isn't meant to be executed by you. It's an internal script
for copying files around, but if you want to install Octave from
source, the proper procedure is the usual GNU build system:

     ./configure
     make
     make install

However, this is bound to be challenging, because you will have to
manually track down Octave's build dependencies and install those
before you can build Octave. If you are sure that this is what you
want to do instead of using pre-build binaries, follow these
instructions:

     http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Installation.html

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.